Right now, a good portion of America is disenfranchised by capitalism. They want socialism. They want the government to take care of them. America was built as a capitalistic society. So what has happened to us?
Well, a couple things:
1.) We lost God.
2.) We got Lazy.
3.) We became narcissistic.
We lost God.
I'm not going to preach what God, as that isn't the point. America was built on reason and truth, established in the concept of a God who creates men equal. Men aren't born equal, but we are equally judged under God. Belief in God, or some higher power that holds a person accountable helps keep those with power in check. Capitalism where the owners of the companies believe that it is their christian duty to take care of their workers, is a freeing economy. Anyone can own their own company. Anyone can become what they want to become. There is only freedom, and oppression doesn't happen, because those who might oppress are bound by either a relationship with the Creator of us all, or are fearful of offending their higher power and being punished.
The Western world, however has abandoned that belief. They despise God, spit in His face. "I don't want to be held accountable" they say. I want to do whatever I want. We're sliding into number three, but they are all intertwined.
God was not confining us, He was freeing us. It was the belief in a God who created men equal that allowed for freedom of slaves, for equality of sexes. God has rules, but for our protection, not for our enslavement. Slavery comes when man tries to be his own god. What have men done throughout the millenia? Have they not enslaved women. Look at Islam. I shudder to see how that is filling the God-shaped void in Europe. I'm getting off topic.
We have gotten lazy.
Have we ever. Debt is out our ears, and rather than work harder, we cry and moan and fuss. look at the people on welfare - who should not be. those on unemployment - who should not be. Yes, there are those who genuinely need it. but those elements are there as a temporary boost, to help a person get on their feet, so that they can use the skills that have been given them and WORK!
Many people are on disability, who are not 100% disabled. Yes, they'd have to step out of their comfort zone, maybe go back to school, learn something new.
If you can sit, there are many jobs involving sitting, sheesh, we're a country of low-energy jobs.
The number and variety of jobs out there is so incredibly large, you can't even begin to imagine them. I know I can't. I'm doing a job I didn't know existed. I am well placed. However, if I'd limited myself to what I knew, I'd be miserable.
There are those who have no hands, who paint. There are those who cannot see, who write. Don't be the statistic, be the exception. Work! Be creative! Explore! Experiment! Make a few mistakes! Find someone who needs something you can do, and do it.
Just don't bail out on life. You only get one.
We have become narcissistic.
Have we ever! Look at the ads. What do they appeal to?
1. Keeping up with the Joneses.
2. If you buy this, you can look like me!
For goodness sake! I struggle with this too. Don't get me wrong, but think about it. Part of our debt problem is that we can't wait for what we want, while we ignore what we need. Why can't we wait? Because we "deserve" what our neighbor has.
We covet their looks, their wealth, their homes, their cars, their spouces, their children (maybe), their collections of this or that. If you join a forum dedicated to fish, webkinz, cars, plants, or whatever, do you become like the majority posting there and become a major collector of these things, regardless if you have the money to do so?
Do you look in the mirror and hate what you see? Do you spend hundreds (thousands) of dollars to improve it? These are symtoms. Look at the focus?
I'm not saying we ought to abandon ourselves in search of good deeds. But when we don't look at our brother's needs, and just at ourselves... well, we're in trouble. Because when we see only ourselves, it is a sad sight.
But in light of economics, when we see only ourselves, it allows for 2 things.
1. Those of us in power, now have nothing to hold themselves back from taking advantage of others.
2. Those who are not in power, fall more easily to appeals to their selfish nature.
Man is NOT inherintly good. Left to ourselves, we gravitate towards dominion and slavery.
And this applies in every economic scheme. Socialism, running on this society will be just as bad. In fact, it will be worse. If you elect leaders who have no morals governing their character, how in the world can you expect them to think of effective socialistic manuvers? What happens in the nations where communism is allowed? Think on it. Money does not go where it ought to.
the only time such a socialistic scheme might work, is if the leaders are 100% sold out in the service of God or some higher power who is interested in the welfare of the many.
Good luck with that.
Friday, February 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment